Spanish Vulnerability

Sometimes my Spanish decides to take a vacation. I'm not sure where it's going whether it be Costa Rica or Panama or maybe it's just going to the beach.  It's embarrassing when I am scrambling for words and people are looking at me strangely.  Most people tell me, "You have such great Spanish," which I give credit to my expression and ease of flow. In my opinion, language is not my strength, but picking up on non-verbal expressions, gestures, and their pronunciation is what makes me communicate better. 

When these cloudy language days arrive, I start with the broken Spanish and then I look up things in my
handy Iphone Spanish-English dictionary, which does not require a Wifi connection.  There are moments with this Iphone where I think, "Wow, this thing really is helpful."
Although, the local person is not concerned with the Iphone or the dictionary, there interest is in you.

You are not the American that is just trying to get by with some Spanglish.  

You are not the American who would never look in a Spanish dictionary because people speak English.  

You are not the person who disrespects the language. 

You are the person who pulls out your phone, says excuse me, and looks up a word or phrase.  
You say thank you for their patience and apologize again for your incompetence. 

 The amount of happy faces that I have seen pulling out this Spanish dictionary. People are so happy when you are trying to learn their language, but they are happiest with the beauty of vulnerability.
You are sitting there in front of them completely alone and vulnerable-in their culture-in their city- in front of their eyes. They love that you are just trying to learn, you are trying to improve, and you are just trying to communicate with their language.

There are days that we are going to be great and there are going to be imperfect days.  People respect you when you are trying and just showing some human vulnerability.  You're not a perfect, smart American, but you are someone trying to learn just like everyone else-no matter the color, the race, the language, and the country. 

Next time your Spanish, your new learning language takes a vacation. Pull out that dictionary or ask a local.  The sun will shine again and you will have a better language day. Those difficult days will come, but......


Instead of feeling embarrassed let yourself feel human. 
PRIS 

No comments:

Post a Comment