Queen of "Vacation"

When it comes to "vacation." People who call me the "Queen of Vacations." Not one person would ever call me the "Queen of Purpose" because they feel that all I do is "go on vacations." All my education and work is not given any recognition rather I'm just someone who likes to vacation. This is an unfortunate way of thinking as people cannot connect travel with work unless your stationed with a big company in the US or abroad.  To serve the underprivileged in countries is something that is "nice to do." It's not a real job because it does involve six figures. There needs to be that "label" for someone to take you seriously otherwise you are just a girl who likes to vacation.

As I get older and I become increasingly molded into my purpose, the desire and possibility to take vacation has significantly decreased.  All my travel I want to be connected with my purpose to work with the community, schools, churches, organizations. To perform interviews and/or studies learning about the culture. 

People ask me to go to fancy beach vacations and I know that I internally know that I don't deserve it. Once I create that label and recognition for myself, it maybe a possibility. The taking a vacation just to "take one" is out of style for me. It's not a vacation that I want to focus on and that's never been my main intention. I am just discovering how to work with people in all new ways. The humans who suffer from poverty, addiction, abuse, loss, and tragedy. Those who are starving to learn English. Those who have such beautiful faith and just need inspiration and someone to believe. Those who are lost and need to find their way home. Healing broken families and empowering youth. 

This is PURPOSE. This is not a JOKE. This is a JOB. A job through GOD.

When it comes to my purpose, I am aware of it. Maybe I was not fully committed in my early 20s. Perhaps I did take more vacations back then, but I am fully aware and committed now. When you know you have responsibility and that someone who loves you more than anyone is counting on you-you must act.  You can't be wasting time on vacations rather you know you have work to do. You have a commitment and you have to stick to it.

Of course, it may not be with the UN or Doctors without Borders or the Peace Core. When you are able to work and connect with a whole community in a short period of time-this is powerful and your own label can be created in time. You work hard, be persistent, stay patient, and keep the faith. 

In Nicaragua, Belize, Guatemala- there are many things to do. Of course, I would like to enjoy a few things here and there. But when the need is presented, I have to take action.  The need has been presented from Day 1 of the trip. My purpose for being here was clear as crystal. I had no doubt with my decision to come and clarity was delivered on a silver platter. There were whispers in my ear from up above saying, "Priscilla, you have to help these people." "It's in your hands." The signs were all there and God lead the people in my direction each and everyday. 

In Leon, the need had exploded.  People told me to go see the beach and go visit this and that volcano. It was not possible to do all these things, but I did explore all the churches, explored 1 volcano, and enjoyed a couple museums next to the church. A real purpose has little time to take a vacation or enjoy. God has proved it´s never a true break for me.... 

As a human traveler, I choose to enjoy the culture, the place, and see what the city has to offer. It does not mean that I am out of my purpose or I am vacationing all the time. Also, the reality is there are days when these cities are shut down, quiet and no one is around. As a therapist, I know myself and how I function best. I function best with good food, good sleep, and mental breaks. 

Clinically, it's healthy to enjoy yourself and reward your own good behavior. When you are in a foreign country, you have the God given right to explore-especially when it comes to nature and man made wonders of the world. There is such beauty in the world and sitting in your office and never seeing it-it's a shame. For me, these times with nature are religious moments and conversations with God. It's like a Vitamin C boost where it helps me keep going. It reboots my system. I go through a laundry cycle and then I'm fresh and ready to go.

When it comes to taking those mental days of rest, it does not mean I just completely shut off like a light switch.  No matter what time or day,  I Never Stop Connecting.  It's the man driving the bus, the man cleaning boards with this two children, the pregnant woman on the roadside in my walk, the cleaner in the church, the housekeeper in my accommodation. 

There never really is a true "vacation" because Priscilla's front porch light is always turned on for people-always. 

Rarely will I not listen to someone and turn them down when they have a smile and an open heart. Those who are in need, just need some confirmation, just need a smile, just need a pat on the back, a person to sit with them on the floor, a person to listen to their music, or a person who wants to hear their food is delicious.  It's a never ending job, which makes me proud, spiritually satisfied, and touched.

It's not something I expect anyone to understand, but I hope people can know that I may have presented a certain life of vacationing in my early 20s, but those days are gone. It's about traveling with purpose and meaning to educate, believe, inspire, pray, empower, assist, and build their feeling of worth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment