Sharing of Food

With my passion for good food, there always was that selfish, greedy, obsessive compulsive element. I didn't want people touching my food, I didn't want to share my cookies, I didn't want people to ask for food-putting me in that uncomfortable situation to give it.  Of course, I would volunteer in soup kitchens, which is just expected for anyone.  When it came to really sharing, I just did not want to share food period.

In Morocco, things seemed to change with the food sharing. I lived in a country where their culture was based on sharing food.  People would not eat until everyone was present. The women spent so much time cooking the food. Sometimes the couscous took 12-14 hours. When prepared it was delicious and it was worth the wait. Even when you were hungry, it was worth it to wait for food and then sit around and share it.  Six or seven people would all sit around and place their spoons into one dish.  When it came to the fruit plate, people would sit around and dip their fork into one large dish.  There was no concern about double dipping, germs, or sickness.  People were sharing the food with one another and it was a beautiful, holy experience. 

Sharing food is not just friendly and kind, but it is holy.  People who are feeling hunger and do not have something should be given food. It's the right thing to do according to your religion.  The religion of Morocco is Islam and people believe in the five pillars. In the fourth pillar, they are asked to give to the needy. Not everyone engages in this, but I remember my friend who cooked food and brought it to the shelter twice a week.  The sharing of a homemade food is quite generous and true sharing.  This holy sharing of food should be experienced by those less fortunate not just amongst family and friends. 

After Morocco, there was something about this experience that changed me. Before Morocco, there were moments traveling buying food and giving it to those who need it. What was different was the convenience eating vs. conscious eating. This time, I found a different meaning for food rather than just eating to satisfy. Most people just eat without even realizing where the food came from and how holy that food truly can be. 

Instead of eating by convenience, I spent time cooking my food.  In Morocco, you have to go to the market, find the spices, cut the vegetables, make the cous cous-everything takes time. Sometimes it felt like, "Is all my time being spent cooking?"

Later, I became appreciative of having this period of waiting for food because I became more appreciative of it.  The longer we have to wait for food, the more likely we are to appreciate it. The holy experience is felt when you give food, not just satisfaction, but appreciation for the time, efforts, and the holy meal. 


Food gives our soul light and lets your true love find it´s way in...PRIS 

No comments:

Post a Comment