Filling the Stomach

The second part to the sharing of the food involves the physical component of filling the stomach.

From Guatemala to Nicaragua, there was constant food distribution to bus drivers, street workers, kids, homeless, etc. It was a responsibility that was sent down to me and I had to take it. This does not mean I was starving because I always had enough to eat, but I took more recognition to those who didn't.

In Leon, I surprised myself with how concerned I actually was with these street people eating. The people in the church were being fed three days a week.  There was space for more people in the church; therefore I tried to inform those who were on the streets.  A couple of them followed through and others did not show up, which is expected for this population. 

Clearly, just informing them of the food distribution was not enough. After 7pm, there were many homeless hanging out in the church square.  Instead of just giving to anyone, I tried to target those who are truly suffering and in need. 

After sometime, there seemed to really be no sensor because I just felt so bad.  I had to do something for these people.  I had to fill their stomachs(friend).
As much I would like to take credit for this expression, I cannot because it came from my Turkish friend. He was good looking, tall, and thin with some possible ribs showing. One day walking on the beach, I said, "Why don't you eat more?"

He said, " I just eat to fill my stomach."

This was what I was doing in Leon, I was trying to fill people's stomach buying them street food whether a tamale, chicken and rice, fried foods, pizza etc.  If someone had an empty stomach and I knew about it, it was my responsibility to fill it. These moments where I buy food for myself and I just give it away. Priscilla does not do that, but the holy spirit does.  It gives and gives and gives to those who need because we don't need all that we're given. I don't need to run around looking for the perfect meal rather I need to eat some gallo pinto and call it a night.

The housekeeper at my b&b made this delicious Gallo pinto(rice, beans, and hot peppers) and they were kind enough to share it with me.  This was all I wanted to eat every night was Gallo pinto and avocado if I could find it.  Instead of getting fish or something with some different sides, I gave myself Gallo Pinto and fed the street.  This was not a big sacrifice because I loved, loved Maria's gallo pinto. 

This may seem noble to those who believe that giving food is the solution.  Those who believe its "a nice thing to help out." This is something that more tourists could be doing independent of any organization.  It´s not a commitment for them, but it is one for me.   With the amount of tourists that come in, the streets could be fed if they each one gave food once a night.

Of course, there are those organizations who are working with the homeless population to decrease poverty. But when I am walking 
the streets all I saw were hungry eyes and empty stomachs, the street poverty will always exist in one way or another. It´s easy to purchase some food and sit with them.  Try to have a conversation and if you can´t-sing them a song, make them laugh, let them tell you a story, etc. 


Among the Guatemala and Nicaragua night visits, I had some regular customers that I had to attend to, especially those who touched my heart. 

There was one who walked around with ugh boots and had no awareness into who I was and why I gave him food.  He just enjoyed it and filled his stomach-important.  

There were two older ladies who always smelled like cigarette smoke and they had no teeth. They would always smile and with that I had to always give. 

There was a beautiful older man who always slept near the fountain, there was a lady who wore a bright yellow rain coat, and there was a blind man.....


No comments:

Post a Comment