Spanish Foodie


Food Ranks
1. Belize
2. Guatemala
3.Nicaragua
4. Honduras

As previously mentioned, food is a big part of my life. At home, I love to cook creative healthy dishes that are full of fish, vegetables, bean, and different types of whole grain.  When it comes to food, I am one of the biggest Divas.  
I want it to be the freshest fish, the most recent date on the package, the right presentation, fresh ingredients from certain stores, and nothing overcooked or burnt by an inch. 


When I travel, there is no way to be so picky and all those unnecessary wants have to be broken down.  In Central America, occasional fresh white meat chicken
became accepted. I don't eat anything fried unless I can remove the fried part. If I don't like the food that is available, I just won't eat. I will find something to eat the next day. 

Also, I inform hosts of my dietary restrictions with meat. Of course, the vegetarian thing is difficulty to comprehend for Latin American countries, but they are friendly and kind about it.  
With this said, I have come across very few problems in Central America. The main staple items that people consume: rice, black beans, plantains, fish, eggs, and chicken.  They do lightly fry the plantains, but they are delicious and worth it. They make some interesting sides with vegetables as well. There are nice salads made of beets, cucumbers, and carrots. Sometimes it's not about  trying all different kinds of foods. I find that when you enjoy one type of dish-keep enjoying it.  The dishes are very similar when it comes to the rice/beans, chicken, and plantains, but some are better than others. 

Clearly, the home is the best place to consume these lovely dishes.  People are so accommodating towards me when it comes to food. They understand that I am American and picky at times. They will let me come to the back to make my own salad, they will show me the food before I get it i.e. let me open up the pots and investigate, they give me extra sauces and things I would enjoy, and they are just lovely-kind-patient. Of course, not all of them, but 90 percent=)

No comments:

Post a Comment