Bus and Purpose

Matias is a 18 year old Belizian. He looks like a cute Spanish soap opera star. I realize that there are many Spanish and Belizian "mixed breeds."  He lives in Belmopan and we meet on the bus heading towards Belize City. He shares his parent's interest in him becoming a lawyer, but he is more interested in science. He is clearly a bit conflicted on what to do with his life, which is normal for someone his age.  He is very curious about my work and how I figured out my passion. He looks up at me with his brown eyes 
saying,



"How did you know that is what you wanted to do for the rest of your life?"


Wow, what a loaded question. I explained to him my feelings associated with my purpose, my experiences, and  I shared with him my work and feelings associated with my purpose.  He seemed to be a Belizian who had opportunity, which was great to witness. His father was an Army general and his mother worked for the embassy. He was such a nice boy and our chat was meaningful for the both of us. He gave me a big hug when he left, it was so cute. Bus therapy session number 1000 accomplished. CBC

No comments:

Post a Comment