Belize Flame

Coming back late from Saint Ignacio, my perfect Monkey Bay kitchen was closed so I thought I would eat something across the way at Amigos. Amigo’s is a restaurant/ bar(the only one in a 15 mile vicinity).You walk through the field to the abandoned looking restaurant in the middle of nowhere. When you go inside, it’s full of personality with all kinds of knick knacks on the walls with all the funny drinking slogans. There is a stop light telling you when can drink and couple drinking games.  It’s a fun atmosphere for people who live in the area.

Every night, my new buddy was working and I would come in and go sit behind the bar chatting with him and pretending to be a bartender. On this particular night, I walked up the side entrance and was greeted by a young man at the door.  He smiled at me and said, “Welcome, please come in.” He lead me inside to the bar and I looked at him very puzzled and said, “Thank you.”  I assumed that he was working there and they played the joke out until Jose finally said that he was his friend.  He works as a tour guide for the caving with his co-worker who was present. 
He sat on the opposite side of the bar and I sat sitting with Jose on the opposite side where we split some food. Every time I look up, his eyes are gazing at me. I look towards him giving him a confused look and I just continue speaking. I keep speaking and he just keeps smiling and I laugh and he smiles. It’s like he is watching my every move and I’m not annoyed (good sign) and I kind of enjoy whatever is happening.  We all join in our conversation together and he begins to ask me all these questions. The first one is not a question though as he shouts across the bar, 

“You’re Indian right.” him 
“Yes, I am.”Pris
“Wow.”him 
“Wow, what? Pris

He gets quiet and says, “Indians are beautiful.”
“Thanks."
He is just totally staring and it would usually be strange annoying, but it´s not.  

The more I look at him, the more I think he is really cute.  He reminds me of my Moroccan boyfriend who was the same age, 28, mixed with Spanish and had the same mannerisms, great body, tall, beautiful smile, and just adored him.

Anyways, it was cute our flirtation and he had me intrigued with his philosophical conversation and his knowledge of India. He said that he is always reading and studying a new theory-definitely someone for me.   He randomly took me outside for a few minutes and went outside to talk with some local.  He told me this local wants to talk to you because he heard you’re an American. I walk outside and I am looking in the front and then I walk to the other side of the green wooden porch. 
Did he just make up that someone was outside? 
How juvenile. 
He says he must of disappeared and he stares right into my eyes.

“What color are your eyes? Green?” Him

I step back from him, “ Hazel.”  PRIS

He steps closer, “Do you like Belize?” Him

I step back “Yes, it’s good.” Pris

“Just good.” “Do Belize men scare you?" Him

“No.” Pris

“Then why do you keep stepping away from me.” Him 

There is little distance between us and our steps finally met.  He takes my hand and kisses it. My heart is skipping a beat faster and I am very interested at this point. This is a lot for me to take in so I distance myself away and start initiating conversation. We get into this interesting conversation about evolving and how our behavior changes overtime (Just like my Moroccan interested in psychology and philosophy). It was almost like a Belizian form of my Moroccan-interesting, but kind of sad. This guy just had this sexy mysterious suave thing going that I enjoyed participating in. 

They had all planned to go out and I planned to go to sleep. I was beyond tired and there was really nothing to celebrate because Costa Rica had lost.  His co-worker is shouting and asking him to come back in and he is just sitting and smiling at me with no care in the world. He asks me to meet him back here tomorrow night. I did not even hesitate for a second and I said, “Yes.” I could not deny the electricity between us and I did not want to leave him….

What happened with Mr. Belize?
My nerves and my fear of getting close got right in the way. I went back and forth about it and then I went to sleep. I ended up not showing up with no call, no message-nothing. This is where a phone comes in handy-office closed to use the Monkey Bay phone. The next day I biked over after work and I told Jose to please apologize to his friend. He didn’t even know there was something going on and he said, “Oh he was waiting for you.” He said that he’s sure it’s fine, but I know it wasn’t-not cool to stand up a guy you actually like. 

Chance Number 2
Going back by Amigos with the group of Europeans, I was wondering around looking and hoping that maybe he would show up. Jose caught on to my interest and told me that he rarely even comes over there so I most likely would not see him.  Sitting and socializing with some new people in there, I randomly meet his cousin.  I told him what happened and he said he would call him for us to try and meet again.  The second date was planned and I was ready to meet him. I made sure I looked extra cute and I went to meet him. There was no time set, but I figured the same time as last time. 
 Of course, I was 15 minutes late and he was not going to wait for me again.  He didn’t wait and I just missed him by 10 minutes.  Jose said, “Priscilla, I know him he really does not wait for people-it’s not his thing.” His thing was to not wait and my thing was to not show up and be late-nice one Priscilla. 

Perhaps it was not meant to be or perhaps I made it that way on my own…..never know.

While I never expected to take interest in a Belizian guy, we can never expect because that is when the unexpected comes......

No comments:

Post a Comment