Food shortage

When it comes to the MH community, food was hard to come by for many families. Many children would come to camp with empty stomachs. There was a sponsor for the camp who was going to provide money, but it never came through in time. 


Mrs.Ravel was so resourceful and amazing with getting snacks. She worked out a borrow back system for the  chips with the local market and we bought a juice concentrate to mix.  Some days we would look at each other like, " What are we going to do tomorrow?" 

One day we had no snacks and it was depressing seeing the kids facial expression when I said, "Sorry dear not today."

As far as my contribution, I worked on Monkey bay a bit each day. At first. There was watermelon and bananas offered. When I asked again, I got a different answer. Also, I had asked the founder and he needed to know a week in advance. With all the food we cook, I asked if there were any leftovers I could bring. I ended up getting a big lecture on where the food goes and the kitchen budget. 

Anything I requested was coming from good intention and MB knew this fact.  Whether it be apple sauce, fruit, or Plantain chips. I just wanted them to have something each day and I know MB had it, but it was a struggle trying to get it.

It was difficult trying to prove how high the needs actually were and how something so little could provide so much.  They had the belief that Mrs. Ravel was over there making requests, but she never once asked me to request or bring food.  She always made the best of what they already had and I loved her for that.  

It's a shame having that belief that the MH community is always "asking for money." The belief that "money" will just solve the problem is completely false.  While they do need food to meet their basic needs, they truly need education, religion,  acknowledgement to their being, and a cultural exchange.  


Money can only go so far, but contribution towards a human's existence means the world. PRIS

No comments:

Post a Comment