Creole Cray Cray

Creole is one of the funniest languages. The expressions and the tone of voice when speaking, it just sounds like pure street slang.It can also sound like a chicken. Sometimes I can pick up languages, but not this one. My comprehension has improved overtime, but my pronunciation is slim to none. It's just hard to speak such a broken language. It's like syllables and words cut in half. 



 Actually, Creole has an open syllabic system of language.  Many of the words are ending in vowels and syllables reduced to only a consonant or vowel. 

The Chicago Tribune 1987 reported that Belize Creole is "a language that teases, but just escapes the comprehension of a Native English speaker." Some say that Creole started from the contact of English land owners and their West African slaves to ensure basic communication(Wikipedia).     

If I am on the bus or just sitting with a couple students, I just listen to them go back and forth. My head is turning as I am fascinated by this being an actual language.  I don't even make an attempt to repeat words rather I try to just listen and make out words.  


Sorry Belize, but this language is Cray Cray

No comments:

Post a Comment