My Funny Valentine




My Funny Valentine is a kind old man who is 55 years old. He always wears the traditional pants and tribal color shirt with opened toe black sandals. He had the kindest smile that would make my heart melt. He was sincere and just a wonderful person. In our conversations, I could tell he was just a simply happy kind who was content with his life. He worked during the day and enjoyed watching TV in the night or fishing. 

When it came to my stay, he was always checking on me when I entered to make sure I was doing okay. He would kindly make me coffee in the morning and I would kindly accept even though I don't drink coffee. I just did it for him and it seemed to add an extra kick start to my day.

One day I asked him a specific question about my bedroom cleaning. I know that he was the main one who cleans all the rooms. The bedspread in the room is hot pink complemented by pink sheets.  Every day I got my pretty pink sheets, but one day things change.  I came home and turned over my bed cover to find blue sheets. He switched to blue sheets and being ridiculous and curious- I had to ask him about this change. He speaks all Spanish-and not one word of English that makes him even cuter. I told him in a very nice and cute way, " I don't like blue sheets, I like pink I'm a girl. "

He responded with the cutest look and he said, "Oh I see, I see"  The next day I was curious to see if I had pink sheets. I peeked underneath the comforter and I had a whole new sheet set. I had light green, silk pillow cases and white sheets with pink flowers with small, green stems. 

I've pretty much seen all the rooms and I have never seen this sheet set. I didn't ask where my funny valentine got it, but it was clear he put some effort in just for me. 

One time I also told him I was out of soap in the bathroom to wash my hands. It was just one night, but I couldn't go without out. My little friend knocks on my door and he has 3 head and shoulders shampoo packets. He shrugs his shoulders and says, "good, it's good" 

He also cut some roses from the garden for me to put in my room. He cut firewood and would put in my room with my request. He would ask the time I came home so he could put light the fire to ensure my room was warm at arrival. 

As people, we just had a mutual respect and caring for each other. Often when I would buy snacks, I would buy something extra for him. He would often look surprised that I was giving him something. We shared a whole loaf of fresh, homemade banana bread( one of the best banana breads I have ever had). Everyone at the hotel called him my "little amigo." When I needed something they always knew who to call. 

My Little Amigo could say absolutely nothing, but his smile shines through just like the sun and so did mine. 

When I left, he said he was going to be very sad and I told him I'm going to miss him very much. He probably rarely have guests who give him such attention, but God granted him with my kind spirit and I was blessed with his friendship. 




                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment