You are NOT Superior

First of all,  this post does not just refer to one experience. It refers to 5 or 6 experiences just on this trip and many more abroad. 

When I was in Nicaragua, there were these two Israel guys that would walk around the common area in their underwear. The expression on their face was the usual, "I look good and I don't care what you think.

Did they look good? Yes. 

Did I want to see them in their briefs. No 

Of course, they had no regard as to how this would make other people feel. The guy in Guatemala who got denied by me could not deal with it. Most likely this is due to the fact that their egos are so large that they can't accept rejection.  

In Colombia, there were a couple guys and a girl(apparently they like to travel this way) and they were making fun of the man selling balloons. This just broke my heart because this man was the kindest, sweetest person. I had spoke with him before I went into the museum. I could not even understand their Hebrew, but I knew they were referring to him with their behavior.  They had to point and laugh and thankfully he did not see otherwise I would have to have a talk with him.  

This was completely uncalled for and ridiculous when they looked disheveled and filthy. In their minds, they don't need to take a shower because they are God's gift to earth. 


    Lo siento este no es verdad

When I was in Turkey working with my close friend, I recall his long discussion about Israel. Every single sentence expressed the need to define Israel as the best. The sites, the food, the people, the politics, the religion-everything was the best and there was no way to dispute this rather it was fact. It was fact in my friend's eyes that Israel was and always will be the best country in the world. The strong willed ways of giving examples, historical periods, and the beauty/intelligence of people. The military component was always a discussion with all their weapons.  In fact, I admit that I wanted to see this country and sometimes was mesmerized my his stories(and sometimes bored). He sparked in interest in my mind of how great this country could be. But the reality set, there is pride for a country and there is too much pride. This was a pride that was almost sickening to witness, to grow up with in my neighborhood, to see from travelers. This was the kind of pride that indicated a superiority that would not truly appreciate other cultures. How can you appreciate another culture when yours is the ultimate best?


There are so many beautiful cultures ranging from Japanese to India to Thailand to Turkey to Colombia to Ireland. Each culture has it's positive components that make it special. These cultures are just as beautiful as Israel and if their ego is not able to recognize that I feel some real empathy for them.  Israeli's travel the world with backpacks and many with money, but what do they truly gain. Are they gaining something positive or a continuous boost of their ego on how wonderful they are compared to the rest of the world? 


Intelligence is distributed among cultures and it is not given to just one.  News flash Israel you are not superior or the best culture in the world.  No culture is superior or inferior rather each one has its practices, people, and beliefs that make it special. Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Christianty all lie under one God and one is Not superior to the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment