Con gusto

In the Spanish culture, "Con Gusto" means with pleasure.  This is something that is said in replacement of "Your welcome." It just so happened that in Medellin, this kind phrase came my way often.  There was one day specifically where people kept giving me things with a "Con gusto." My buddy around the corner from the hotel gave me a free bunuelo (potato ball).  The front desk gave me a bottle of water when I said I forgot mine upstairs. When I bought one cheap hemp bracelet, the guy gave me a free one.  This was such a strange day of people continuously not accepting money from me. It was like people would not let me pay for anything and when I insisted, they would shake their head.  


While I have to say with humility, it's not something totally uncommon with my nature and spirit.  It happens from time to time, but not back to back like this.  It's not requested rather it's just being thankful for encountering someone nice. It is again this phrase, when you are good to people, they are good to you.  It's the most basic statement, but it holds such truth.  People love someone who is sweet and kind-this is what hits the heart and makes them respond so positively. It starts in the mind to the heart, and to the extension of gratitude for kindness. 


This "Con gusto" is similar to the "Afiet Osen" in Turkish and "Maa Souror" in Arabic. People are expressing their pleasure and happiness with the meeting or transaction. It add an extra element of kindness to the interpersonal interaction. With all cultures-Spanish, Arabic, and Turkish, people are using this expression, "With pleasure" in the same way.  They are thankful that you bought something, they are thankful that you spoke with them, they are thankful that you gave them support or assistance. These people are not just saying it rather they actually mean it. They have a radiant smile and you feel this appreciation and positivity.  The country that says it the best and with most soul is Turkey. I remember working for a summer camp in two different cities and the people would continuously say "Afiet Osen." The beautiful ones of Morocco also have the same feeling going.


Let someone know how thankful you are
Let someone know you recognize their efforts
Let someone know you appreciate their being
Let someone know that you're just like them
Let someone know you respect their culture
 

No comments:

Post a Comment