Pollo Frito-Que Rico!

While I am a partial vegetarian who eats mainly fish, eggs, beans, there are times when I do make exceptions for chicken.  It has to only be chicken breast and it has to be a good quality or I will not eat it. There are times where I eat it and my stomach is a little confused and upset or I just feel guilty. It also depends on the quality of the meat and that will determine whether I actually finish it or give it away.  

In Central America, my chicken exceptions have turned out wonderful.   I made the decision to eat chicken to make my diet easier and to stay healthy and fit-getting my protein each day is essential. It was a good decision as the chicken here is fantastic with lots of flavor.  And I cannot believe I am saying this, but the best chicken is "Pollo Frito"- Fried Chicken. 


In the states, I will not go near a Fried chicken, but maybe I should start? I'm not even sure how one tastes in the states, but in Guatemala it taste amazing. The chicken is tender and flavorful and I can just pull the fried part right off and feed it to the dogs. With some salsa picante, it boosts the flavor up a notch and it makes it taste amazing.  For 15 quetzal, which is about 2.00 for a plate with rice, beans, plantains, and pollo frito. The price and quality together make it an incredible value and make my stomach very happy. It's just such a common meal for locals to eat and almost every restaurant has it at lunch time. You can often find it on the street sold as with fries, but I would never eat it off the street as it has to be at a restaurant.  Although, it could taste just as good, but it's not fresh sitting in the heat on the street all day.  While they have a KFC in Guatemala City, I would not even step foot in there with the quality they are producing locally. Fried chicken and Pollo Campero is really the Mc Donalds of Guatemala.  


    Thank you Guatemala for the new Fried Chicken experience! 


No comments:

Post a Comment