Avocado, Mango, Market

When traveling one of my favorite places to visit is the local market. It truly defines a culture with their dress, local customs, personal interactions, and how religion plays a role. It's always an interesting experience to see the cultural exchange. 
In this market, they sell the normal: ducks, chickens, fish, meats, vegetables, and fresh fruits. There are guys in carts selling fried chickens and fries(papas fritas- one of my favorite words). They sell Dulces- also which are different kind of sweets that look like they are dosed in syrup. 

The highlight of the market is what you can buy for .20 cents! My 2 favorite things are only .20 cents each- mangoes and avocados. Yes, that's right .20 cents each.  They are grown on the trees around Panajachel. In front of my hotel, we have an Avocado tree and the owner told me to take as many as I would like. I took one and it is currently ripening- it takes 3 to 5 days to ripen. 





The ones I have tasted have been excellent and I had a mango from the back of a pick up truck in the market. That is usually the best fruit- the fruit that is being sold in the back of trucks. 
In the Morocco market, the oranges were always in the back of the pick up trucks in big piles.  When you opened one, they usually tastes amazing.   

With this market, it is affordable for the local community while providing excellent nutrients by selling fruit, vegetables, fish, and poultry.  The Guatemalan market is pretty healthy therefore making the Guatemalan nutritional components to be pretty balanced.   

No comments:

Post a Comment