Hunger Deliveries


Of course, it’s not possible for me to just go into a city and not serve. It may be service of therapy, motivation/inspiration to purpose, assistance to a project, a new opportunity, education, giving a self-esteem boost, watching over children etc. There is always, always, always something for me to do in the path of the Lord. It usually involves the interaction with people (on the street, in the church, selling food, at the café, janitors, security guards-those who are human and not engaged in materialistic lives). It’s just constant, constant interaction and serving others through his spirit.


Another element that had been added this trip was the giving and sharing of food.  This practicing of fasting in Morocco lead me to understand how it feels to have an empty stomach. Discipline was built when it comes to food and participating in Ramadan taking days to fast.  When it comes to the food and this city, this turned out to be my main project in front of the church where the homeless were sitting. It was clear I needed to spend some time here. There were many people to initiate conversation with and there were many mouths to feed. This was my project to feed these mouths.

The vendors were selling some nice tacos and tamales with a salad for $1. The drinks, which consist of bags filled with a juice or an artificial drink of color were just .25 cents. This is very common for everyone is Central America to drink from small plastic bags filled with a juice and some ice.

When it came time of 9am and 12noon, these were the times of delivery. The church bells gave me a reminder as my schedule was a bit disorganized in this city.

When it came to my giving, I tried to give to those who demonstrated real need. Children and their mothers, older men in their 50s and 60s (main population present), and the occasional youth. They discussed their hardships, but I tried to focus on their faith and how far that could take them.  One’s faith can move mountains and it can provide a sense of security when feeling lost and hopeless. It was nice to bring in their faith sitting in front of the church. They truly just loved the attention and the fact that they were talking to someone from America. It’s not common for them to have this interaction. It’s something interesting and new for them, which is great.

Many were thankful and a few took the food and disappeared. I tried to monitor who I gave to as there were some who had plenty of food in their bags or already had eaten. It was about addressing the need of those hungry not randomly giving off food to everyone, smiling, and leaving.  Sometimes I did not get the therapy time or the motivational talk I desired, but one piece was accomplished.

Some people looked at me as if I was doing such a great thing. I will continue to say for a lifetime that….
“I just do what I am called to do-nothing less and everything more." PRIS
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment