Mr. Shoe Shine

In front of the Gran white cathedral, I sat and watched this man shining shoes.  He persistently worked shining away and he appeared so determined yet so tired and hungry. He did not have teeth, but he smiled through his eyes. This man truly touched me and I can’t say that about just anyone in this park. He was special and with this kind character I wanted to fill his stomach. When I touched his arm and patted his back, he felt like bones. It was clear he just worked, walked back to the village, and ate ver little. 
 When I came once, he was happy. When I came twice, he was surprised. When I came the next day, we sat down and talked. He shared with me that he lives in a village far away in one of the mountains. I told him where I was from and he looked so happy. It was difficult to understand him, but sometimes the spirit speaks louder than words.
I just felt addicted to his spirit and this interaction specifically was confirmation-I’m in the right place doing the right thing.
Unfortunately, this common job had competition as a few other people were also shining shoes. 
 
This man had these bright, beautiful eyes just staring at me. He was part of God’s kingdom and he would be going to heaven one day.  
 
When it comes to food and sharing, I am definitely not an Angel. As mentioned before I have grown with exposure to cultures, suffering, and with God’s spirit driving me to fill stomachs. In Nicaragua, it’s where my changes were eye opening.  I did not want or need to receive some kind of credit for doing this, but I just had to do it. I had to fill these stomachs to the best of my ability.
This did not just include buying food and giving it away. It included giving away my own food. I would purchase things and rather than eat them I would just hand them off. It was completely strange for me and something only one spirit driving this home.
This happened throughout Nicaragua until I questioned eating myself. How much do I actually need to eat? The meals I don’t eat can’t I just give them away. It was selfless behavior that was happening and I was thankful for the growth. That selfish component with my food and eating everything for me-it diminished. 
It was an eye opening experience into a whole new way to give. Rather than just thinking about what I was eating, I was much more conscious of filling the stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment