And so the Story Goes...



My Viva Colombia flight left on time and was headed on a 45 minute flight back to Panama City. On the plane, I met a lovely Colombian couple who were traveling to Panama City for 5 days to stay at the Hardrock Hotel-what a coincidence.  We waited in the long customs ride and I sat there absolutely terrified with my two friends.

"What if they ask for my card again? "
"What if I say the wrong thing?"

My two buddies were reassuring me that "everything will be okay." It was difficult to believe after my first border crossing into Panama. Apparently, the border is very different from the airport. 
"Next. Hi, how long is your stay in Panama?"
"I have a flight this evening at 12."
"Do you have anything to declare?"
"No, I don't."
The whole time I am holding my rosary hoping they will let me through.
He says, "Okay, have a nice flight."

"Pheww I felt like a criminal who was bringing in some illegal package. This is how much anxiety I had after my traumatic border crossing. My friends were waiting for me and said, "I told you so."
The customs man was fair and nice-justice was received and retribution. Now, it was time to get a taxi to get to the center. The Israel guy, a super typical backpacker who smelled of alcohol, was headed with his girlfriend on a shuttle van. I talked to him a bit and told him to wait up. The shuttle took me back by the Don Bosco church where I had planned to make a stop......

No comments:

Post a Comment