My Pequena Amiga


My Pequena Amiga(my little friend) is my American translator. She is the niece of the b&b owner and she is so cute and adorable. When we met she told me she speaks English and she is from Naples. She said cutely, in Naples, they only speak English. It's an English speaking place. 

I said, " Oh I never heard of a Naples in Nicaragua.

I started to do some work at the table and she came around looking for some conversation. I told her lets find this Naples, Nicaragua. She said, "Okay" with her cute pink top and daisy duke jeans(I had those when I was 10). I am googling Naples, Nicaragua and I am finding nothing. I pull out a map and I find nothing. I am asking which region. Is it the Northern region of Nicaragua or the West? She said its in more like the Western region. I go back to the map and show her the bodies of water. She says she thinks it would just be easier if she draws a picture. She explains that it is in the middle of the country with water all around it. When I see her drawing, I am thinking she must means a small city near Matagalpa. Then finally the question comes again," Are you sure Naples is in Nicaragua?"


She says, " No, Naples, Florida."




My little translator is from the same country as me, which is why she speaks English. She was helpful in translating to the two dentists(her father and Uncle). Her Dad speaks not one word of English and his daughter speaks perfectly- funny how that works(another post). Ivan, the younger dentist who is 28, speaks a little English from working at the Bed and Breakfast and watching How I met your Mother(common show played internationally for people to learn English). When he speaks Spanish, you're lucky to get one or two words of it. His name from me is Speedy Gonzalez and I tell him that he is the fastest person to ever speak Spanish!  

Also, he has a funny George Lopez voice like me so it sounds even crazier. When we would be sitting outside on the front stoop talking, Elizabeth would translate. We were able to talk without her, but he had to slow it down. The George Lopez thing I could understand because my voice was similar? 

With her great help, my little translator received some little gifts for her great help and good behavior. I would stop at the bakery for some galletas, gave stickers, or socks? She truly was a sweet, amazing girl. She was never even allowed outside the house because her father was too afraid someone woudl kidnap her-I would be too!  She was just visiting for 2 weeks and her mother in Florida had full custody. I told her she can come with me to Chicago and she said, " My mother would not happy with that she loves me too much."  Elizabeth said that one day she would like to be an artist like her mom. She's very loved and a special girl. Who knows perhaps my Pequena amiga and I will meet again one day in Florida. 
                                Until then....
J´dore


                                     





The Nicaraguan Way

Unplug the sockets to save money and energy
 
They wear decorative aprons with big ruffles when selling
 
They have 4 names
 
They have huge well stocked pharmacies with many people working
 
They love Batidos fruit smoothies
 
They are in love with their religion
 
Dios is everywhere

No comments:

Post a Comment