Just Not That Kind of Backpacker


When it comes to the average backpacker they can be compared to a hippie. You will often see them trekking around looking disheveled and homeless. The locals usually dress nicer than them. You question whether they took a shower There hair is greasy and they are dressed in some big Aladdin looking pants with a t shirt or a tank top and the ugly travel sandals I can't stand. While I sound judgemental, I am just speaking the truth. There are clean backpackers and their are the rugged, dirty ones.



As for me, I am the OCD traveler who likes to keep it clean. For instance, keeping my stuff new and clean looking takes high importance. I would say that about 95 percent of my clothing and shoes I bought are brand new and I like to keep it that way. Before my shoes go back into my bag I always clean them with soap and I spend a lot of time reorganizing my bag. Initially I buy all brand new clothing for my trip with new shoes and clothes. Everything I purchase is a travel item from REI or Colombia including jackets and pants, new shirts, underwear, and socks. I have three different pink cubicles to keep everything organized by color and style of clothing. 

                                 
Someone commented the other day, "How do you always look so cute?" Well there is fashion sense that always comes first, but I keep my stuff clean.  I have zip lock bags filled with detergent to keep everything smelling fresh. I have stain remover pads, bleach pads, and extra mini towels. 



While I technically am a back packer, I have lower tolerance for uncleanliness and eating just any food that's cheap.
When it comes to my backpack I tell them where to put it on the bus and watch them very carefully ensuring it goes in a clean spot and is not being dragged.   It's crazy how dirty people's bags can be. Did they ever hear of a wet rag and soap?

Getting a travel sandal was a big step for me as I think most are too ugly for my feet. I found the Keen whisper in a cute lime green and grey. At first, I tried them on and just stared at my feet. I can't wear these as I have always been anti-travel sandal. They were never cute enough for my taste, but now I have no regrets. I love them and I especially love how clean I keep them.



The point to the post is that there are different kinds of  backpackers and not everyone is the stereotypical homeless looking kind. There are clean, fashion conscious ones like...well like me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment