More Writing Less Talking

In Panajachel, I never stopped talking, which lead me to come home at 8 or 9 at night, take a shower, and go to sleep. While I must admit I do not have the best time management, it's a deeper connection with people that keeps me occupied.



When I was 12, I was on our 1 day trip to visit New York City.  While my brother, my Mom, and myself went to visit our family every year in New Jersey, we took our usual one day tour of the city. My brother was too young for all the hustle and bustle so he stayed behind.  It was just myself, my mom, my Grandma, and Grandpa.  We were just walking around the city and my Grandpa treated me to a pretzel-my New York favorite. The food was just not enough to occupy me in a city with so many people and lights so bright.  I just kept staring at all the beauty and all the people. I was captivated by a city so big and people so diverse.




While I said I was going to walk to a store and come back, I ended up disappearing for an hour. I'm not sure how I managed to get approval, but I did.  When I let go, I remember it being such a epiphany of the beauty of people and places.  I just sat under the lights staring at each and every person passing by.  What were they thinking? Where are they going? Do they have significant others and families as well? The lights were shining right down and it was clear that I had a purpose with all these people. Suddenly, I felt a tug on my arm from my mom. 

"Where have you been Priscilla? We were looking all over for you." 
"I was just looking at all the people Mom."

 The city is full of it and I was always craving more time than we spent and one day I moved to New York and I received that time.....

From those young years until the NOW, I have been blessed with God's spirit and a strong connection with people. 
It is natural to talk with them and learn about their passions/interests, help them with their goals, assist them with independent skills or learning, being supportive and encouraging, being a listener, and a helping hand.

 It sounds ridiculous, but believers understand the power of God's presence and spirit in his children.  We have a responsibility to help people and provide love, support, and guidance. This means that I am always, always engaging with the community on a human level-not a volunteer, for work, for money, but as Priscilla. There are days when I am out all day, especially in Guatemala, talking from person to person.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that I have to leave, but I try my best to give people time and not turn my back on them.  I know that they enjoy my attention and acknowledgment and his spirit. It's just something that comes with the territory.  

With this said, when I keep talking, talking, and talking it amounts in less writing.  It is not possible to 
document or keep up with amount of conversations I have and share all the stories without a video camera. There are some wonderful encounters and touching stories, but I just don't have the time to document it all.  

Usually it is easy for tourists to write these beautiful, extensive blogs because they sit at the touristy cafes drinking their $5.00 coffee and working on writing and picture posting rather than cultural exchange.  When one is constantly making that exchange, it's hard to keep up with that other component of writing, organizing, posting pics, and sharing things.  It takes a lot of time, which I don't seem to have this trip  because I have dedicated my time to people.  

Hopefully I adopt some better time management and get myself caught up because I want to share my experiences with everyone to help educate, inspire, and share ideas with others!

No comments:

Post a Comment